for Saturday, 17 January 2015 [9:50 PM PhT]
WEATHER.COM.PH TROPICAL CYCLONE UPDATES
TROPICAL STORM MEKKHALA (AMANG) UPDATE NUMBER 013
Issued at: 8:00 PM PhT (12:00 GMT) Saturday 17 January 2015
Next Update: Sunday Early Morning, 18 January 201
MEKKHALA (AMANG) has weakened into a Tropical Storm after making landfall along Dolores, Eastern Samar around 2-3PM today...still poses a threat to Bicol Region.
This cyclone will therefore enhance the Northeast Monsoon (Hanging Amihan) - bringing cooler, windy and cloudy conditions with occasional slight to moderate rains along the eastern sections of Luzon through the weekend..
Residents and visitors along Eastern Visayas, Bicol Region and Eastern Luzon should closely monitor the development of Mekkhala (Amang).
Information based on data collected by WeatherPhilippines Foundation, Inc. shall not be taken as official data. Weather information broadcasted and distributed by PAGASA remains as official data. WeatherPhilippines shall not be responsible for the private use and reliance of its weather information.
CYCLONE HAZARDS AFFECTING LAND
Below are the regions or places in the Philippines that could be affected or that are being affected by the hazards generated by the current tropical cyclone.
- Heavy Rains (50 mm to 100 mm): Samar Provinces, Masbate incl. Ticao Is., Sorsogon, Albay incl. Burias Is., Catanduanes, Camarines Provinces, Eastern part of Southern Quezon. - through Sunday afternoon (Jan 18).
- Moderate to Heavy Rains (30 mm to 50 mm): Northern Panay, Leyte Provinces and Biliran Is., Northern Cebu incl. Camotes Islands, Romblon incl. Tablas Is., Marinduque, eastern portions of Laguna and Rizal, and rest of Quezon - through Sunday afternoon (Jan 18).
- Strong Tropical Storm Force Winds (Gusts of 100-130 kph): Northern Samar and Southeastern Bicol - tonight through early tomorrow morning, Sunday (Jan 18).
- Tropical Storm Force Winds (Gusts of 75-100 kph): Rest of Bicol incl. Burias and Ticao Islands, Northern parts of Easterna and Western Samar. - tonight through early tomorrow morning, Sunday (Jan 18)..
- Possible coastal storm surge flooding of 0.5-1.5 m (1.5-5 ft) above normal tide levels...accompanied by large and dangerous battering waves can be expected along the coastal, inland lakes and beach front areas of Northern Samar and Southeastern Bicol tonight through early Sunday morning. Minimal damage is likely on this type of storm surge. Danger from Rip Currents or Rip Tides can be expected along the beach-front areas of Rest of Eastern Visayas, Rest of Bicol incl. Burias and Ticao Islands (click here to know more about Storm Surge).
CURRENT CYCLONE INFORMATION
As of 5:00 PM PhT today, Jan 17...0900 GMT.
Classification/Name: TS Mekkhala (Amang)
Location: Over the northeastern tip of Northern Samar (near 12.5N 125.2E)
About: 65 km east of Catarman, Northern Samar...or 140 km east-southeast of Sorsogon City, Sorsogon
Maximum Sustained Winds (10-min avg): 110 kph near the center...Gustiness: 140 kph
24 hr. Rain Accumulation (near and north of the center): 50 to 500 mm [Moderate to Extreme]
Minimum Central Pressure: 974 millibars (hPa)
Size of Circulation [Convective Cloud-Based, in diameter]: 900 km (Medium)
Area of Damaging Winds (95 kph or more): 55 km from the center
Past Movement: Northwest @ 26 kph
Forecast Movement: West-Northwest to Northwest @ 18 kph
Towards: Bicol Region
2-DAY FORECAST OUTLOOK*
TS Mekkhala (Amang) is expected to move west-northwestward during the next 12 hours...then turns to northwest and north throughout the remainder of the forecast outlook. On the forecast track, TS Mekkhala (Amang) will be traversing Southern Bicol tonight...crossing Ragay Gulf on Sunday morning on its way to Southern Quezon and emerging over Lamon Bay through Sunday afternoon. The storm shall be slowly cruising along the coasts of Northern Quezon through Monday noon.
TS Mekkhala (Amang) will continue to weaken throughout the forecast outlook as it moves in an area of unfavorable environment. Advance Intensity Forecast (AIF) shows its 10-minute maximum sustained winds decreasing to 55 kph on Monday afternoon.
The following is the 3-day forecast outlook summary for this system:
SUNDAY AFTERNOON: Weakens further as it traverses Bicol and Southern Quezon...emerging over Lamon Bay...about 95 km west of Daer, Camarines Norte [2PM JAN 18: 14.1N 122.0E @ 95kph].
MONDAY AFTERNOON: Drifts northward...weakens further into a Tropical Depression (TD) over Aurora...about 20 km west-southwest of Casiguran, Aurora [2PM JAN 19: 16.2N 121.9E @ 55kph].
TUESDAY AFTERNOON: Dissipates into an area of low pressure over the Babuyan Channel...about 50 km north-northeast of Santa Ana, Cagayan [2PM JAN 20: 18.8N 122.4E @ 35kph].
*Please be reminded that the Forecast Outlook changes every 6 hours, and the Day 2 and 3 Forecast Track has an average error of 100 and 250 km respectively...while the wind speed forecast error, averages 35 kph per day. Therefore, a turn to the left or right of its future track and changes in its wind speed must be anticipated from time to time.
Important Note: Please keep in mind that the above hazards summary and forecast outlook changes every 6 to 12 hrs!
Time/Date: 5:00 PM PhT Sat Jan 17, 2015
Location of Center: Near 12.5º N Lat 125.2º E Lon
Distance 1: 100 km NNW of Borongan City, Eastern Samar
Distance 2: 175 km SE of Legaspi City
Distance 3: 90 km NE of Calbayog City
Distance 4: 150 km SSE of Virac, Catanduanes
Distance 5: 175 km ENE of Masbate City
CURRENT TRACKING MAP:
CURRENT NOAA/MTSAT-2 INFRARED (IR) SATELLITE IMAGE:
>> To know the meteorological terminologies and acronyms used on this update visit the ff:
For the complete details on TS MEKKHALA (AMANG)...go visit our website @:
:: Kindly view our site's disclaimer at:
Copyright © 2015 Typhoon2000.com All Rights Reserved
Posted by: "Typhoon2000.com (Michael V. Padua)" <T2Kstormupdates@gmail.com>
|Reply via web post||•||Reply to sender||•||Reply to group||•||Start a New Topic||•||Messages in this topic (1)|